Notes from FrenchKit 2017
FrenchKit 2017 was awesome. I recommend it to any iOS/Swift developer around.
I wrote many notes during the two days of the conference but I forgot to process them right afterwards when things were still fresh. Bummer.
Finally, I went through the notes today and decided to make a blog post out of them anyway. Raw and undetailed, 2018-style!
My favorite talks
- Playground Driven Development by Brandon Williams (quite more detailed than the objc.io’s one)
- May the Code Review Be with You by Egor Tolstoy
- You Deserve Nice Things by Soroush Khanlou
- Core Data Custom Store by Rew Islam
- Scaling Open Source Communities by Felix Krause
Side note to mention that a big theme of the conference was code generation. It was frenquently quoted as something you should try out and be ready to use when relevant. I’m in.
What could be improved next time?
France, we need to become better public speakers
As you can see above, not a single French speaker made it to my favorite talks. This is hard to explain but for some reasons, French speakers are often nervous, awkward or even uncharismatic. I rarely gave public talks but when I did, these all applied to me as well. Not sure where this is coming from but fellow French developers, we need to address this! 🇫🇷💪
Let’s be better with jokes
I’m sick of jokes filled of condescending notes.
Core Data sucks (audience laughs)
Cocoapods sucks (audience laughs)
I don’t remember the exact jokes but I felt some were patronizing and misleading. Core Data and Cocoapods are awesome tools. They have flaws but nobody should be embarassed using them.
Also, enough with cat memes. As most overused material, they lost everything that made them cool/cute/funny in the first place.
My TODO list until FrenchKit 2018
- ☐ Try Sourcery
- ☒ Check out BuddyBuild 1
- ☑︎ Check out Swift 4’s Codable protocol
- ☒ Check out the AppCode IDE
- ☐ The
- ☐ Play a little with the
- ☑︎ Start using GitHub’s global search
- ☑︎ Follow PublicExtension on Twitter
- ☐ Check out Server-side Swift
- ☑︎ Kitura
- ☑︎ Vapor
- ☐ Perfect
- ☐ Play with
NSAtomicStore(good for a small data set)
- ☒ Check out [Dashlane/CustomStores]2
- ☐ Have a clearer understanding of static vs dynamic libraries
- ☐ Is it possible to dual boot with a Linux distribution?
- ☑︎ Start using SwiftLint
- ☐ Read Getting Started with Swift on Android
- ☑︎ Start using Danger
- ☑︎ Check out Grafana
- ☐ Display Xcode build durations
- ☐ Checkout xcactivitylog files
- ☐ There should be some direct mapping between graphql and core data.
- ☑︎ Subscribe to Awesome iOS Newsletter
- ☑︎ Subscribe to this week in Swit
Things I wrote but forgot what it was about
- Sirius : coordinator
If you know what they could mean, please get in touch.